102 Arrested, 27 Officers Injured During I-94 'Riot' in Saint Paul, Minnesota

102 Arrested, 27 Officers Injured During I-94 ‘Riot’ in Saint Paul, Minnesota

ST. PAUL, Minn. — More than 100 people were arrested and 21 St. Paul officers and six state troopers were injured after protesters brought I-94 to a screeching halt for more than five hours Saturday night.

Authorities say during the course of the protests on 94 and later, on Grand and Dale, 21 officers from multiple agencies suffered injuries. The injuries were primarily caused by fireworks, rocks, bricks, glass bottles and chunks of concrete that were directed at officers, some hitting them in the head. St. Paul Police said someone threw a Molotov cocktail at officers, as well.

None of the injuries were serious.

In total, more than 100 people were arrested — 52 were taken into custody for public nuisance and unlawful assembly during an incident around 4 a.m. at Grand and Dale in St. Paul and 50 were arrested for third-degree riot overnight on I-94.

Police in riot gear warned the crowd several times that arrests would be made if they didn’t clear the scene, and after tactics like inert smoke, tear gas and marking rounds failed to disperse the crowd, arrests began.

Those arrested were loaded onto buses and removed from the scene.

Interstate 94 was finally reopened around 1:49 a.m., after authorities removed debris from the highway.

The crowd moved from the freeway back to the governor’s mansion where more disruption occurred. A few tried to get back on I-94 but were stopped by police. Several protesters then laid down in the street near Grand and Dale around 2:39 a.m., refusing police commands to clear the area.

Arrests began around 3:01 a.m., with authorities taking protesters one by one.

The shutdown started much earlier in the evening, when the crowd began marching from the Governor’s residence in St. Paul around 7 p.m., where protesters have been gathered for the past three days. The Minnesota State Patrol tried, unsuccessfully, to stop them from entering the freeway around 7:30 p.m.

Initially protesters blocked eastbound traffic near Lexington Parkway, but they then crossed the median barrier to block vehicles in both directions. Officers gave more than a dozen orders for the crowd to disperse before they moved in to make arrests just before 10 p.m.

St. Paul officers and MN State Patrol moved protesters off the highway and on to the grass embankments. Some protesters moved to a pedestrian bridge and were later cleared around midnight.

Demonstrations took place in both Minneapolis and St. Paul on Saturday, as protesters called for change after Philando Castile was fatally shot by a St. Anthony police officer.

More than 100 people rallied at Loring Park in Minneapolis before marching down Hennepin Avenue, sometimes stopping in the middle of intersections.

The group eventually made their way to an area outside of the Basilica Block Party where a few protesters broke through the police barrier and were escorted away. The Minneapolis protest dispersed quietly.

About Alexis Sostre

Entrepreneur, contributor, writer, and editor of Sostre News. With a powerful new bi-lingual speaking generation by his side, Sostre News is becoming the preferred site for the latest in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Culture, Tech, Breaking and World News.

Check Also

Playboy founder Hugh Hefner dead at 91

Playboy Founder Hugh Hefner Dead at 91

Hugh Hefner -- the silk-robed Casanova whose Playboy men's magazine popularized the term "centerfold," glamorized an urbane bachelor lifestyle and helped spur the sexual revolution of the 1960s -- has died, the magazine said late Wednesday. He was 91.