Australian Man Recovering From Severe Burns After iPhone 6 Explodes in Pocket
Gareth Clear in hospital with severe burns. He is currently awaiting skin grafts at Royal North Shore Hospital. Picture: Supplied

Australian Man Recovering From Severe Burns After iPhone 6 Explodes in Pocket

THE last injury Gareth Clear was expecting while mountain biking was a severe burn from an exploding phone.

The 36-year-old from Bondi was riding around Manly Dam on Sunday afternoon when he fell from his bike, landing on his iPhone 6.

Seconds later he noticed smoke and a searing heat, before hearing an explosion as the phone he’d had for just six months ignited, melting through his shorts and two layers of skin on his upper right thigh.

Gareth Clear, from Bondi, was cycling around Manly Dam when the accident occurred.
Gareth Clear, from Bondi, was cycling around Manly Dam when the accident occurred.

 

The burnt phone after the freak explosion. Picture: Supplied
The burnt phone after the freak explosion. Picture: Supplied

 

The burn was so severe he had to undergo skin graft surgery at the burns unit of the Royal North Shore Hospital.

“It’s a bit random, the thing to be very specific about, the phone did hit the ground, it didn’t just spontaneously combust. It was a one in one million chance I hit a part of the phone which pierced the lithium battery and it exploded,” he said.

“I’m 36, I’ve had a mobile phone for 18 years of my life and for that thing to explode or short circuit and cause it to temporarily ignite. I could see the metal bending and all the lithium leaking out of the bottom end.”

While the base of the phone looks like “something from a chemical explosion,” he said, the top remains perfectly intact.

Gareth Clear in hospital with severe burns. He is currently awaiting skin grafts at Royal North Shore Hospital. Picture: Supplied
Gareth Clear in hospital with severe burns. He is currently awaiting skin grafts at Royal North Shore Hospital. Picture: Supplied

 

Apple have told Mr Clear they are investigating the incident.
Apple have told Mr Clear they are investigating the incident.

 

Mr Clear will be house bound for the rest of the week and remain hooked up to a machine to prevent infection, but expects it will take weeks to recover.

Dr Da-Wei Wang from the UNSW faculty of chemical engineering said it wasn’t uncommon for lithium ion batteries in mobile phones to overheat and ignite.

“I think many examples show that, if you search on Google there are many images of mobile phones which have been overcharged, which may cause it to be overheated,” he said.

But an explosion after an impact, he said, was most likely caused by a combination of overheating and a faulty design of the phone’s structure.

Mr Clear said Apple yesterday told him they would investigate the incident. However an Apple spokeswoman declined to comment to the Daily Telegraph.

Other recent reports include a man in Seattle who claimed his smartphone exploded in his pocket on July 23, and earlier this month in the UK a 19-year-old man claimed his iPhone 5s exploded while travelling on a fast moving train.

About Alexis Sostre

Entrepreneur, contributor, writer, and editor of Sostre News. With a powerful new bi-lingual speaking generation by his side, Sostre News is becoming the preferred site for the latest in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Culture, Tech, Breaking and World News.

Check Also

Melissa McCarthy Takes to NYC Streets as Sean Spicer in ‘Saturday Night Live’ Bit

Melissa McCarthy Takes to NYC Streets as Sean Spicer in ‘Saturday Night Live’ Bit

Melissa McCarthy turned heads in Manhattan’s Columbus Circle Friday morning when she was seen rolling down the street on a motorized podium in her guise as White House press secretary Sean Spicer with a “Saturday Night Live” film crew in tow...