The often outspoken and straight-shooting presidential candidate Donald Trump has suggested that former president of the United States, George W. Bush is to blame for the 9/11 terrorist attacks, according to the New York Post.
“I think I’m much more competent than all of them. I mean, say what you want, the World Trade Center came down during his time.”
Ever since that tragic Tuesday morning, conspiracy theories, accusations and allegations have been rampant in regard to the events of 9/11. Several people have been accused of having something to do with the attacks, Bush included.
But, on that day, Bush reportedly did what he could do to try to calm the nation down by issuing a response that whoever was responsible for the attacks would pay, via the Archives.
— CNN (@CNN) October 16, 2015
It was not long after the attacks that with Bush’s convictions leading the way the War on Terror started. However, while Trump did not directly insinuate that Bush had something to do with the attacks, he did not fail to mention that all of those events did transpire on his watch.
“He was president, OK?. . . Blame him, or don’t blame him, but he was president. The World Trade Center came down during his reign.”
If Trump’s past actions dictate anything, he likely does not care whom he may anger or rub the wrong way with any of his comments. As previously reported by the Inquisitr, Trump has made controversial remarks about Rosie O’Donnell— which has led many people to label Trump as a “misogynist.” When he’s not making remarks about O’Donnell, Trump has been adamant about his views on illegal immigrants and Mexican people, views that ended up with NBC severing ties with Trump.
Now, with Trump implying that George W. Bush could be to blame for the 9/11 tragedy, fellow presidential candidate and Bush’s brother Jeb Bush, has issued a statement toward Trump on Twitter.
How pathetic for @realdonaldtrump to criticize the president for 9/11. We were attacked & my brother kept us safe.
— Jeb Bush (@JebBush) October 16, 2015
But, Jeb Bush’s tweet was immediately met with some backlash, with people tweeting statistics and factoids surrounding 9/11 and its aftermath, suggesting that his brother did not keep people as safe as he claims. One tweet shows a graph depicting the deaths via terrorism that the United States has experienced under its past five presidents.
— Oliver Willis (@owillis) October 16, 2015
Trump took to Twitter himself to fire back at Jeb Bush, implying that he did not want to bring up the 9/11 tragedies after Jeb kept insisting that his brother “kept us safe.”
.@JebBush, At the debate you said your brother kept us safe- I wanted to be nice & did not mention the WTC came down during his watch, 9/11.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 17, 2015
This current war of words with Jeb Bush is the current topic of discussion and there will likely be more things to discuss at the next GOP Debate. However, Trump has been vocal about his disdain for the length of the debate, saying that it makes for “boring” television. With that in mind, he has been pushing for the debate to be shortened to two hours. While there has been no official word on changes to the program, CNBC spokesman Brian Steel told the New York Post that the suggestion will be strongly considered.
“We started a dialogue yesterday with all of the campaigns involved and we will certainly take the candidates’ views on the format into consideration.”