Egyptian investigators have completed a preliminary report on the Russian plane crash in Sinai, saying they have not found anything to indicate a bomb was involved.
The statement released on Monday by Ayman el-Muqadam said the investigation committee so far has not found “any evidence” indicating foul play in the October 31 downing of the plane, killing all 224 people onboard, contradicting Russian and Western governments’ claims that the Metrojet was brought down by a bomb.
The investigators analysed the plane’s 38 computers and two engine computers and is currently checking the technical details of the plane and repairs carried out since it was manufactured.
Muqadam said the investigation committee made 15 visits to the crash site, and the team was coordinating with the air force to move the wreckage to a safe location in Cairo for further study.
The plane took off from Sharm el-Sheikh, a Red Sea resort popular with Russian and British holiday-makers.
The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) group said that it had smuggled an explosive onboard.
The crash led Russia to suspend all flights to and from Egypt, dealing a heavy blow to the country’s vital tourism industry.