Fifth Avenue in Oakland Closed Due to Suspicious Suitcase Chained to a Pole

Fifth Avenue in Oakland Closed Due to Suspicious Suitcase Chained to a Pole

Pittsburgh’s bomb squad detonated a suitcase chained to a pole outside an Oakland pharmacy.

Police have reopened Fifth Avenue and the scene is clear.

Pittsburgh police could not be immediately reached for comment.

Kathry Spitz Cohan, the executive director of J Film, said she heard a large explosion outside her building on McKee Place, about a block and half away from Fifth Avenue where police had stopped traffic to investigate a suspicious package. She heard a loud explosion about 3:10 p.m.

An employee at Hieber’s Pharmacy said police evacuated the pharmacy, the bomb squad blew up the suitcase and allowed employees to return to work. No one was hurt and there was no damage to the building, said the employee, who did not give her full name.

An Allegheny County dispatch supervisor said Fifth Avenue was blocked between Hallket Street and McKee Place. The supervisor said there was “police activity” in the 3500 block of Fifth Avenue, that the call came into dispatch at 2:32 p.m. and that University of Pittsburgh police were investigating. The supervisor would not give more details.

No information was immediately available from Pitt police.

Adam Brandolph, spokesman for Port Authority, said several buses in the area were delayed for about a half hour or more because of detours.


About Alexis Sostre

Entrepreneur, contributor, writer, and editor of Sostre News. With a powerful new bi-lingual speaking generation by his side, Sostre News is becoming the preferred site for the latest in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Culture, Tech, Breaking and World News.

Check Also

Playboy founder Hugh Hefner dead at 91

Playboy Founder Hugh Hefner Dead at 91

Hugh Hefner -- the silk-robed Casanova whose Playboy men's magazine popularized the term "centerfold," glamorized an urbane bachelor lifestyle and helped spur the sexual revolution of the 1960s -- has died, the magazine said late Wednesday. He was 91.