A man from western Pennsylvania was simply sitting by a fire at his family’s camp site in Elk County this weekend when a venomous rattlesnake bit him late Saturday night.
The poisonous snakebite put Russell Davis, 39, of Freedom, Pa., into acute respiratory distress, and he was driven by private means to meet an ambulance for medical help, according to the news station.
He was taken Penn Highlands Hospital in St. Marys, Elk County, to be airlifted to a hospital in Pittsburgh.
However, Davis went into cardiac arrest in the helicopter, forcing it to land at a hospital in Kittanning, where he was pronounced dead, WPXI notes, citing the Armstrong County Coroner’s Office.
The incident happened at the Beaver County man’s family camp at Medix Run, Elk County.