Obama Issues Official Response to Orlando Massacre

President Obama made a statement on Sunday in response to the massacre at a gay bar in Orlando that left 50 dead. The attack is being called the worst mass shooting on US soil in history.


“No act of terror or hate will change who we are,” he said. “We pray for their families, who are grasping for answers with broken hearts.”

Obama referred to the attack as “an act of terror” and acknowledged the violence still faced by members of the LGBT community around the world.

“We stand with the people of Orlando who have endured a terrible attack on their city,” he added. “This could have been any one of our cities.”

“We’ve got work to do when LGBT people around the world still face incredible isolation and poverty and persecution and violence, and even death,” Obama said. “We have work to make sure that every single child, no matter who they are or where they come from or what they look like or how they live, feels welcomed and valued and loved.”

He also reiterated his call for tighter regulations to ensure potential gun owners are thoroughly investigated prior to being allowed to purchase firearms.

“This massacre is therefore a further reminder of how easy it is for someone to get their hands on a weapon that lets them shoot people in a school, in a house of worship, or in a movie theater or in a nightclub. And we have to decide if that’s the kind of country we want to be. To actively do nothing is a decision as well.”

Check Also

13 people shot in New Orleans Saturday; most violent day in 2017

13 people shot in New Orleans Saturday; most violent day in 2017

Two people were shot dead and 11 people wounded by gunfire Saturday (June 3) in New Orleans, the highest number of people shot in a single day so far in 2017. As of Sunday morning, more than 300 people have been killed or wounded by gunfire in New Orleans -- a rate of roughly two people a day...