Suicide Bombing at Hospital in Quetta, Pakistan Kills at Least 63

Suicide Bombing at Hospital in Quetta, Pakistan Kills at Least 70

A breakaway faction of the Taliban in Pakistan has claimed responsibility for the suicide attack at a hospital in the southwestern city of Quetta, which killed at least 70 people, according to the Associated Press.


In a statement, Ahsanullah Ahsan, spokesman for the Jamaat-ul-Ahrar militant group, also said its men killed Bilal Kasi, the president of Baluchistan Bar Assn., and then targeted the mourners who had gathered at the government-run Civil Hospital. The group has been behind several acts of terrorism in Pakistan in recent years. The claim could not be independently verified.

Most of the victims were lawyers who had gathered in the emergency ward of Sundayman Civil Hospital to mourn Bilal Anwar Kasi, president of the provincial bar association, who was shot hours earlier on his way to court.

A television journalist was also among the dead, while two cameramen were among the more than 40 people who were injured, many of them critically, officials said.

“A number of lawyers and some journalists had gathered at the hospital,” where Kasi’s body had been brought, said Baluchistan’s home minister, Akbar Harifal.

 

1460962_1280x720

RTSLQO8-1024x683

Witnesses said dozens of lawyers were entering the hospital’s emergency department, accompanying Kasi’s body, when the powerful explosion occurred.

Saleem Shahid, a senior journalist, said by phone from Quetta that lawyers were seen fleeing the emergency department after the explosion.

Baluchistan, a large, resource-rich though largely undeveloped province in southwestern Pakistan, along the border with Iran, has been hit by a long, low-level insurgency by an array of ethnic Baluch nationalist organizations vying for self-determination.

The militant groups regularly attack trains, security forces and government installations, including hospitals in Baluchistan.

They accuse Pakistani security forces of illegal detentions, torture and executions of Baluch civilians, charges the government denies.

Following the blast, the Pakistani government declared a state of emergency in hospitals, while lawyers called a boycott of court proceedings in various cities nationwide.

pakistanedit
la-1470640063-snap-photo

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif issued a statement condemning the attack.

“No one will be allowed to disturb the peace in the province that has been restored thanks to the countless sacrifices by the security forces, police and the people of Baluchistan,” Sharif said.

 

Check Also

13 people shot in New Orleans Saturday; most violent day in 2017

13 people shot in New Orleans Saturday; most violent day in 2017

Two people were shot dead and 11 people wounded by gunfire Saturday (June 3) in New Orleans, the highest number of people shot in a single day so far in 2017. As of Sunday morning, more than 300 people have been killed or wounded by gunfire in New Orleans -- a rate of roughly two people a day...