Two people were reportedly killed in a plane crash in New Jersey, fire officials said.
News12 confirmed the deaths around 11:30 a.m. The crash happened behind a Kiddie Academy in Essex County, a childcare daycare facility.
The crash happened behind 810 Passaic Ave. in West Caldwell, fire officials said.
The plane was on fire at an intersection Saturday morning after crashing not far from the Essex County Airport, according to PIX11.
The fire was burning at Passaic and Fairfield avenues, according to the report.
The Cessna 206 aircraft crashed about half-mile from Essex County Airport shortly after departing from Runway 22 at 10 a.m., according to Kathleen Bergen, a Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman.
The FAA is investigating. The National Transportation Safety Board will determine probable cause.
Various sources from the Belleville, Westwood and other fire departments and news outlets were reporting the crash on Twitter:
- Katherine Creag @katcreag4NY 37m37 minutes ago#BREAKING plane crash #WestCaldwell NJ closes part of Passaic Ave. Possible fatalities #NBC4NY
- George Del Grande@GeoDelGrande: @CaraDiFalco plane crash in Fairfield NJ
- West Essex NOW@WestEssexNOW: WEST CALDWELL PLANE CRASH 810 PASSAIC AVENUE 10:08am Will update further soon
- jimmy aka 22a @Firetrucks2 50m50 minutes agoWest caldwell (nj) [essex] plane crash: fairfield airport two fatalities other fire departments m/a to the scene
- Demonracer2 @Demonracer2_ERV 52m52 minutes agoWEST CALDWELL| WF ASSIGNMENT FOR A PLANE CRASH BEHIND 810 PASSAIC AVE| AUTHORITIES ARE STATING 2 CONFIRMED FATALITIES.| VERONA RIT IN ROUTE