Vet Intern Discovers Dog's Paralysis Caused By Tick Before Euthanization

Vet Intern Discovers Dog’s Paralysis Caused By Tick Before Euthanization

A 10-year-old dog named Ollie is alive today thanks to a Portland, Oregon-based DoveLewis Animal Hospital intern who found a tick hidden in his ear, moments before the veterinarian was to euthanise the sick dog.


Ollie’s owners, Al and Joelle, decided to put the dog to sleep after noticing his rapidly failing health after returning home from a trip to the Umpqua River, according to a statement from DoveLewis Animal Hospital.

“We were at a complete loss,” said Al, the dog’s owner. “What do you do in that situation? He is part of our family, and we’ve always tried to provide the best care we can for him.”

DoveLewis veterinarians had run a battery of tests on Ollie and were left with no answers as to what may have been causing his rapid decline.

Nearly a week after they’d returned from a camping trip, Al and Joelle said that Ollie was unable to eat and was almost completely paralyzed.

The dog was brought in to be put down.

About Alexis Sostre

Entrepreneur, contributor, writer, and editor of Sostre News. With a powerful new bi-lingual speaking generation by his side, Sostre News is becoming the preferred site for the latest in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Culture, Tech, Breaking and World News.

Check Also

Powerball: Somebody’s Gotta Win, Eventually

Powerball: Somebody’s Gotta Win, Eventually

The big idea: Some wonder why anyone would buy a lottery ticket. Others think: Why not spend two bucks each week for a chance to become a millionaire — or better? Behavioral economists shed light on why what seems the height of illogic to some makes perfect sense to others...