It’s the sort of accident that’s much funnier in a movie than in real life.
As reported by ABC affiliate WPBF 25 Wednesday, Florida resident and mother of two, Katherine Gaydos, found herself in a sticky situation last week after a friend inadvertently put fingernail glue into her eye instead of eye drops.
“Something blew into my eye. I screamed for someone else to get eye drops out of my purse, and they brought super glue and poured it in my eye,” the 28-year-old Gaydos told WPBF. “I closed my eye and screamed and called 911.”
Prior to her interview, the poor woman wasn’t able to get any help from the doctor she first reached out to, due to her not being able to afford it.
“He was talking about doing surgery to try and save my eye, but now I don’t know what to do — I don’t have a job, no insurance or any money,” she told WPBF.
Her subsequent popularity, however, has led to a happy ending, with the doctor’s office asking her to return Thursday.
“It was the same office, but a different doctor. He put Lidocaine (a local numbing agent) above and below my eye and just pulled on it until it finally opened,” Gaydos told WPBF .
A Friday visit will clear away any remaining glue from her cornea. “He said I should get my sight back, and not have permanent damage.”
Somehow, this isn’t even the first eyes wide shut by glue story to be reported this year. In September, a Canadian mother, Julia Vavatsikos, went public with her July account of an untrained medical receptionist accidentally gluing together her son’s eye during a doctor’s visit to treat a cat scratch on his eyelid.
Thankfully, as with Gaydos, the boy walked away with no lasting damage.