BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — A child was bitten by a wild snake at the Birmingham Zoo on Thursday, a statement from the zoo confirmed.
The Birmingham Zoo said the child was bitten around noon by a snake that has since been identified as a copperhead. The incident occurred near the “Trails of Africa” exhibit, but the zoo said the snake was not part of their animal collection.
After the incident, emergency management services responded to the zoo and the child was taken to an area hospital. The condition of the child is unknown.
The statement from the zoo says they are working with the hospital to “determine the appropriate treatment for the child.”
The snake was contained and relocated by zoo staff for examination after the incident.
The statement from the zoo says of the 50 snakes found in Alabama, only six are venomous.
According to Outdoor Alabama, the copperhead is the “most frequently encountered venomous snake in Alabama.”